We are experienced in a range of disciplines and welcome skilled individuals to join our team, if you are interested in working with us, please email your cv and a cover letter to the relevant office.
Advice for potential SJB employees
Send us your CV and portfolio with a brief covering message via email to the relevant SJB office.
Provide your CV and portfolio as PDF attachments with a total size less than 10MB. Do not send us a link to an online portfolio - these are not always easy to access and cannot be saved within our candidate management system.
Include in your CV
- Contact details: full name, email, mobile phone, current location, e.g. Sydney, NSW
- Availability and preferred location
- Details of current work rights for Australia, e.g. citizen, permanent resident, working visa details
- Education: education institution, degree, graduation year
- Software expertise including the type of software as well as your proficiency level, e.g. Revit - basic
- Employment history: the name of organisation, role, start and finish dates
- Limit to two pages if you can!
Architectural portfolio formatting suggestions
- Include a selection of recent and relevant projects that you have worked on which best demonstrate your capability
- Include images and please make sure drawings, photographs and 3D visualisations are appropriately attributed
- Describe your role in the project, including the stages you worked. You do not need to include a marketing blurb for the project
- Ideally include construction value, location and size
- Include what it is you are looking for in your next role and tell us anything about you that we need to know and won't see in your CV and portfolio.
SJB Urban, Sydney
Carve your own career path and help shape Sydney
The SJB Urban team in Sydney is growing. We're offering the opportunity for urban designers to join us to work on significant urban design and masterplanning projects shaping the future of Sydney.
SJB Urban is an autonomous design studio which enjoys all the benefits of being part of a major multidisciplinary design firm.
We offer a variety of work including precinct design, masterplanning, policy development, concept design, research and design competitions.
We value different perspectives and strive to develop innovative new ways of practice. Working on SJB Urban projects you will have the opportunity to push the boundaries of urban design, integrating research and technology to deliver great urban design outcomes.
Must-haves for us include:
- Urban Design or Architectural qualifications and a passion for urban design
- Experience as an urban designer in government or private sector
- Strong written, verbal and graphic communication skills
- Problem-solving mindset and the ability to think creatively, critically and strategically
- Ability to work independently while seeking out info needed to work effectively.
Tips for applying
Please respond to the following in your application:
- Demonstrate your graphic communication skills by including relevant work in your portfolio and let us know what software you have used to create graphics
- Demonstrate your industry experience by articulating the role you have played on key projects in your portfolio
- In your covering email, let us know what you are looking for in your next role and what you think you bring to the table.
Sound like a fit for your career? We'd love to hear from you. Send your CV to email@example.com or contact HR and Operations Manager, SJB Sydney via LinkedIn.
This opportunity is open to direct candidates only - we are not seeking candidates via recruitment agencies for this role.
Senior Architect – Large scale multi-unit residential
We work with Australia's most prominent residential developers and top-tier builders at the cutting edge of innovation and constructability.
We are looking for a self-directed Senior Architect to oversee the delivery of large-scale projects.
In this role you will:
- Manage stakeholders associated with the project – the project team, client, builder and other consultants
- of architectural documentation packages through design development, tender and construction phases
- Program the scope of services and provide regular advice on project performance
- Meet on site regularly with the head contractor to review the built works and report on consistency with design intent
Enter intodiscussion on matters of constructability with key personnel including client representatives.
Relevant experience and interest:
- You will have a sound understanding of and interest in the commerciality of large-scale multi-unit residential projects
- You will be able to demonstrate a track record of managing multiple stakeholders on large and complex projects
- You will be a passionate advocate for design
- You are a skilled mentor and leader of a team
- You must have delivered large-scale multi-unit residential projects (>10 storeys).
Tip: Please make sure you demonstrate your abilities in these areas by articulating the role you played in the projects you include in your portfolio.
If this role is of interest to you, please send your CV and portfolio (less than 10MB) to HR and Operations Manager, SJB Architects (Sydney) via firstname.lastname@example.org. All enquiries will be treated confidentially.
Reception & Office Coordinator
As our Reception and Office Coordinator, you will be working alongside a team of 90 architects, urban designers, planners and interior designers who are passionate about delivering great work.
It's not all hard work - we are renowned for our friendly and supportive workplace culture and for being a fun place to work. You have the opportunity to make an impact in this key role which is at the heart of our studio.
Every day, whether it’s on the phone, greeting visitors or interacting with the team, our Reception and Office Coordinator is tasked with creating positive, helpful experiences for internal and external stakeholders.
In brief, we are seeking someone who is:
- Consistently polite, friendly and helpful manner
- Attentive to the needs of others
- Proactive and a constructive contributor to continuous improvement
- Diligent and hardworking
Though your days will vary, this is a snapshot of what you'll be doing week to week:
- Answering and directing incoming calls
- Distributing prompt and clear messages from callers
- Keeping reception, kitchen and common areas presentable
- Receiving clients and other visitors
- Arranging refreshments for meetings
- Coordinating courier services
- Receiving and distributing deliveries and mail
- Coordinating maintenance of office equipment and kitchen supplies
- Coordinating booking of meeting rooms
- Assisting operations team with staff and client functions
- Assisting operations team in liaising with building manager and cleaners
- Assisting operations and comms team with ad hoc administrative tasks
- Coordination of sample library
- Coordination of supplier presentations
- Cover for operations team when on leave as needed
Personal competencies that will be essential for success in this role include:
- Proactive and solution-focused
- Positive energy
- Works with a sense of urgency
We are looking for someone who has had experience in a similar role and who can demonstrate the following:
- Professional phone manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to build effective working relationships – internally and externally
- Able to prioritise competing demands
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
Hint: demonstrate your attention to detail by ensuring that you include the following information in the format requested with your application:
Your CV (as a PDF <10MB) which outlines the following:
- Full name, email, mobile phone, current location (e.g. Sydney, NSW)
- Availability (i.e. when can you start?)
- Details of your current work rights for Australia, e.g. citizen, permanent resident, working visa details
- Education: education institution, qualification, graduation year
- Software expertise including the type of software as well as your proficiency level, e.g. MS Word - basic
- Employment history: the name of organisation, role, start and finish dates
Please also include a brief cover email with your application. Articulate what you are looking for in your next role and tell us anything about you that we need to know and won't see in your CV.
Email your application to email@example.com
Please note this position is open to direct applicants only - we are not accepting candidates put forward via recruitment agencies.